Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The day after Earth Day


I know what you're thinking. "I came here to hear a lude southern hip hop jam but all I get is how to save the Earth!!!" I'm sorry. My objective was never to leak music every week. Theres plenty of bee bop a doo here to sift through. I will however, talk about what interests me. Right now the topic is that of Cradle to Cradle Design.

Cradle to Cradle is waste free design that sends materials back to the "cradle" rather than the "grave". Its basically taking a material and turning it into either a technical or biological nutrient. A technical nutrient such as William Mcdonough's book "Cradle to Cradle" is a material in which can be broken down and recycled as is. In the introduction Mr Mcdonough explains that "The materials used for this book are made from plastic resins and inorganic fillers and can be circulated infinitely in industrial cycles." A biological nutrient is material made to be consumed. An example would be a t shirt with chemicals that wouldn't do harm to your body but instead supply it with good stuff?(still getting my head around that one). Anyways theres a renewable ton of information going around related to projects using this kind of technology. From buildings like that of the Ford River Rouge plant in Dearborn, Michigan which has a 10 acre green roof to entire Chinese cities being designed to be completly sustainable. Check out the links. :)




Ford Rouge Dearborn Truck Plant
Frito-Lay Jim Rich Service Center & Offices
Nike European Headquarters
Ideas worth spreading

No comments: